Saturday 10 September 2016

Dinner in Addis Ababa

I haven't been out much since I arrived in Ethiopia, thanks to a flare-up of a long-standing medical condition, so mostly I've been hanging out with Shane's kids, drinking coffee (Ethiopia is its birthplace) and eating injera (a flat, slightly sour bread Ethiopians eat with meat or chickpea stew as often as three times a day - that's it in the foreground of the photo). This was my first dinner in Addis Ababa.  In the photo are Shane, my old flatmate in the Czech Republic in the early 1990s; his wife Brukty, who has won international acclaim for her TV shows which use puppets to teach children the basics of health, hygiene and good behaviour; their kids Justice, 8, and Amani, 5; and a couple of visiting Mursi tribesmen from the far south of Ethiopia. They have been fascinating to watch because they are as confounded by the trappings of modern life (light switches, door locks, lifts, the cuddly toys I gave Shane's kids) as I am by many things here in Addis Ababa.

No comments:

Post a Comment