Tuesday 28 June 2016

Things I love about the Czech Republic

1. The trains

I was a bit concerned when I saw the fancy new trains in Prague but I needn't have worried. The trains that trundle between Prague and České Budějovice haven't changed - you can still open the windows, stick your head out, and feel the wind in your face. Once day Health and Safety will arrive in central Europe and the fun will be over, but for now you can still do it. 
I also love the way stationmasters put on their red cap, step outside and stand to attention as the train goes by, even in the tiniest country stations. 


2. Czech rye bread

O Czech bread,
How I have missed you. 
Your crunchy crust,
Your soft insides,
Your slightly sour tang. 
We have been apart far too long. 
Now let me eat you. 


3. Guláš (goulash) 

Served with dumplings and raw onion. No furher explanation required. Mmmm. 



4. Random meetings

You can walk around in České Budějovice at any time of day or night and be sure you will bump into old friends. Here is one such random meeting with Madla, Zlatana and Pavla. Na zdravi! 


To be continued. 

No comments:

Post a Comment