Thursday 16 June 2016

In search of the Dutch Resistance

I spent yesterday in the Verzetsmuseum (Dutch Resistance Museum) in Amsterdam in the hope of finding a copy of the underground newspaper my late Uncle Frans made in World War II, at great risk to himself and the rest of the family, to counter the Nazi propaganda that filled official newspapers during the occupation. Part of the museum was dedicated to Resistance members who built illegal radios to listen in to the BBC and Radio Oranje (a Dutch radio station broadcasting from England), then used stencil machines like those shown above to print newsletters with the latest information about how the war was really going. The museum had dozens of underground newspapers on display, but not my uncle's. I now have to continue my search elsewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment